photo taken by Angela Speiker

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Zachary is still doing well

Let's see--my days are starting to blur together and I can't remember what I posted from time to time. I do go home today, this afternoon is the plan. It will be bittersweet going home (finally seeing my Emers and Calvin) but leaving Zach here. I know this is the best place for him, for now. It will be pretty sad walking out of the hospital w/o my baby boy, though. Kind of odd that Emerald will be our youngest first home baby. Each experience is so unique and wonderful.

I got to hold Zachary last night and it was incredible. He is so super sweet, and just curled up on my chest and slept, peacefully. I feel so guilty that Skip hasn't held him yet, but it felt so good to hold my little one. It was a whole lot easier this time, w/ you know only 20 or so wires/tubes/monitors to move this time. I loved the feeling of having him that close to me. It is such an odd feeling to look down and see him, and know that just a few short days ago he was there, like that, just inside. He is doing such a good job holding his own. The NICU nurses keep reminding us that he is great, he is big, and he is doing well. It is all relative, as they had twins born last night at 28 weeks, weighing a pound and a half. They did start feeding Zachary yesterday and he has been doing really well with that. His bili levels went up a little, but that isn't a big deal. He was to remain under the lights thru today for sure, but it makes for some adorable sunglasses our little dude gets to wear. I need a pic of that! Daddy was so cute last night asking the nurse to explain all the machines, tubes, wires, bells, etc. The nurse guessed, before he even had to say, that he was an engineer. Those engineers and their minds! Daddy was also busy inspecting him all over asking about bruises, bumps, spots, etc. He wants to make sure there isn't anything wrong with his boy. Zachary's swelling has gone down a lot, and last night we actually commented on his little scrawny legs that reminded us of Simon! The results from his kidney/renal ultrasound came back fine-normal (I can't remember if I said that yesterday). That was awesome news. Beyond that, we are just making sure the lungs stay healthy, and he keeps eating and sleeping. We have to figure out how this schedule is going to work as far as balancing the big kids at home and giving enough attention to our itty-bitty one. I am sure this will work itself out, and I will remain feeling guilty no matter where I am, or what I am doing. I am also going to try really hard to make sure and take care of me, that will be super difficult! I don't want to end up hurting myself and needing any extra help.

We appreciate all the thoughts, prayers, and help. If we don't get back to you soon, please understand how crazy it is right now.

Here's wishing everyone a Happy New Years! Can't believe 2008 is gone and we are entering a new year. Everyone stay safe tonight and as the clock strikes midnight, send up a thankful prayer to God for all the many joyous blessings we have in our lives. They are too numerous to count!!

1 comment:

Mrs. Curlee said...

I am praying for you and for him. I know he will thrive in the new year. Love to you all!