photo taken by Angela Speiker

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Surprise! Zachary is here!

This is Skip posting this blog, so I apologize for the engineering format. Also, we have not had any luck posting pictures while at the hospital, so we will try later. Surely Steph will recount the story differently when she is able. But here are the bullet points.
  • 4:25 am (Saturday, 12/27) - Our severe weather alarm goes off in our bedroom telling us what we already know: driving thunderstorm with stong wind, heavy rain, and small hail pelting our home, amidst a tornado watch (in December!).
  • 4:30 am - Steph's water breaks (she is fairly sure). A call to the doctor's office tells us that we should make our way to the hospital.
  • 6:30 am - After packing some bags (yeah, we hadn't done this yet, seeing as how we were only 31 weeks), we start the car. We are not able to drive as fast as we wanted, as the rain wouldn't allow us to see much.
  • 7:00 am - Arrive at hospital, soon to be admitted, definitely in labor.
  • 9:00 am - Steph hooked up for IV, magnesium (to slow down labor), steriod shot (to develop baby's lungs). Planned to do another shot in 24 hours (yeah, right!).
  • 12:00 pm - Doctors decide baby is ignoring magnesium, and wants out. Heart rate dips after every contraction (about 3 minutes all morning). Contractions getting more intense. Baby won't survive another 7-8 hours until full dialation.
  • 12:15 pm - Walked into C-section room, received spinal.
  • 12:32 pm - Baby pulled out (looked fairly violent from other side of curtain). It's a boy! Let's out some squeals, which sound great (but hopefully not a foreshadowing). Everything seems to be OK. 3lb, 14oz. Good APGAR's. Breathing on his own. Good color. Whisked away to NICU.
  • 3:00 pm - Wheeled up to NICU to see baby for a brief time.
  • 4:30 pm - Decide to name him Zachary Stanley Pankewich.
  • 4:30 pm - Inserted breathing tube for meds to help develop lungs. Still doing well, but tired. Allowed to rest the rest of the night.
  • Steph is doing well. Still in bed from anesthetics.
  • Skip is tired. Cannot blog anymore.

6 comments:

Life with Cassie said...

I'm the first comment!! I've been checking your blog all day after Stephanie told me you had your computer at the hospital. Of course I want to see pics, but the play-by-play will have to do for now. Good job, Skip! We'll see how Steph's version differs! I'll bet they are close. I hope you are resting well tonight and that Zachary is doing well!! Love to all of you! Talked to your mom tonight. She's ready to head your way!! Cassie

The Utendorf's said...

Congrats guys!!! I have started spreading the word at SMG for you all. Zachary is such a great name! We are praying for you all. Skip, work on getting those pictures up I can't wait to see him!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for your family. I will pray for Zachary to grow quickly and be strong in the NICU. Also, for a speedy recovery for Steph. I can't wait to see pictures!

Charlotte said...

I can hardly believe he's here! I hope you are doing okay and not in too much pain. Try to get up and walk as much as you can. I know it hurts, it will pass. I pray that Zachary does well and gets strong in the NICU. I'm here for any concerns you might have regarding the breastfeeding!!

Sarah said...

Wow, what a surprise!! Congratulations on your baby boy, I'm so glad he could breathe on his own and cry!!

Joplin Artistic Expressions said...

congrats guys! I am glad he is here! praise God for NICU's!