photo taken by Angela Speiker

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Monday info

We got a nice report on Zach last night. They extibated (forgive my spelling, steph you can correct me later) him yesterday as the Surfactant (the meds they gave for his lungs) had worked and seemed to make his lungs help him to breathe. He now has no tubes at all in his mouth!!! I was able to sit by his side for about an hour-hour and a half yesterday and just listen to his sweet, tiny little cry. I love that sound!! Again, with the tears, though. One nurse walking by saw me and just came over and hugged me, telling me it would all be ok. Of course I know this, I was just so emotional getting to hear him.

He does have a couple of things in his nose, one to help keep some oxygen going in, and the other is a feeding tube. They said they were going to start feeding him later last night or this morning. We will hope that this new phase goes well. The NICU nurses are doing such a great job with our little man. They have him under some bili lights. His jaundice levels weren't bad, they are just trying to stay ahead of the game and keep him healthy for sure. They did a kidney sono yesterday, late, so we didn't have results from that yet. His poor little feet--ouch! They keep pricking his little feet for blood draws, and I can't begin to tell you how many little bruises are there. My poor little man!! He has lost another couple of ounces, but they say that it was mostly fluid, or like water weight. This is normal and we aren't too concerned.

On the home front, we are so thankful for all of the help!! My sweet, darling, awesome husband! He started his day helping me out all night, sleeping on a pull-out couch that isn't so comfy for my 6' 7" hubby. His back is killing him, but he was still willing to get up and help me throughout the night and getting woken at around 5:45 to talk with docs, nurses, draw labs, etc. He then went for "it's a boy" doughnuts to show off our good news at work. How sweet is that? He worked nearly a full day (as close as we can get for now), then raced home to get clothes for myself and him (yeah, we didn't pack so perfectly at 4:30 am Saturday morning amidst the chaos, and didn't plan for enough days). He then helped love on the Emerald, Calvin, and Laney (who is feeling quite left out these days). Em and Cal loved having some daddy time. I think he helped with dinner, maybe bath, etc., then hopped in the car to drive back to the hospital. We went to see Zach and then it was more helping me and a repeat, with a little less sleep last night. He has beeen amazing thru this process, and I am so thankful to have him as my best friend and my dear husband. I love you sweet angel!

The kids are so well taken care of. Skip's mom took care of them all of Saturday (after the chaos) and Sunday. Now she is over getting some time with Josiah, which I hope might be a little more calm than my busy munchkins. She has been great helping with kids and household duties, and I know she'll be coming back for more later this week. Walt, Skip's dad, is also headed back to KC after working a few more days, and he will be put to work as well! My parents took over for the kids yesterday/part of Sunday, and I know there was a trip to the park yesterday. I think they are staying thru New Year's Day, and my mom plans to come back in a couple of weeks to help more. I know that everyone is working together and helping so much to take care of all our things. Thank God for our sweet family!! We also very much appreciate all the phone calls, love, prayers, and support from our friends and family both near and far. Keep those prayers coming for baby Zach!!

I will be going home tomorrow. Wish me luck with that!! For now, I will enjoy the peace of the hospital and the time I get to spend with Zachary. I'll keep you posted as we learn more and as I find time to post. Again, pics won't post here at the hospital, but I have some uploaded to facebook that i can send out to people. Pray hard for our little Zachary Stanley!

No comments: