photo taken by Angela Speiker

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Zach had a big day!

We had some great news today--Zach got his nasal cannula out!!! They removed it at 6 pm yesterday and hasn't had any spells since! That is fantastic news! He also topped 5 lb tonight!! He weighed in at 5 lb 0.1 oz!! Way to grow little man!

When I was there yesterday I finally got to speak with one of the docs, something we actually hadn't done in well over a week. Really, the nurses and nurse practioners answer all our questions and Zach hasn't had much change in the last week. So, when Dr. Lancaster came in yesterday he mentioned that we'd be trying to wean him off the very minor wisp of oxygen he was getting (0.1 L at 21-35% most times). So, I thought that maybe in the next few days, or week we'd hear about them working on this. I didn't know that they would try it that night! Needless to say, I was one excited mommy and almost cried when I saw his sweet face w/o the cannula in the way. Daddy came to the hospital tonight, too, and was quite excited, too. He was super happy to get the patch that was still attached to the side of his face off.

When the were weighing him tonight, I had such a sweet moment of seeing my little boy in all his glory. While most mommies have seen this plenty of times, I really haven't. I think maybe once, in nearly 4 weeks, we've seen a completely naked Zach. Tonight, he had no clothes on, no nasal cannula, they'd taken off his pulse-ox (sp?) of his foot, and they were changing out his HUGS tag (his safety jewelry) to make it looser. So, there he was, ng tube and 3 leads, and the rest was just our sweet naked baby boy. I so wish I'd remembered to take my camera tonight. I was chatting with the nurse tonight and asked if he liked his bath. I'm his mommy and can't even tell you if my son likes bath time. Haven't gotten to experience that yet!

We had a great feeding time today with Zach. 3 times nursing and he did great. They are also going to work on giving him another bottle tonight. That is something we want them to do more of, but somehow that had been forgotten or misunderstood. The more he works on the oral feedings, the faster he comes home. Yeah!! We are realizing we need to get this house in order ASAP!! Not by tomorrow, but he is on his way to coming home!

My mom goes home tomorrow. Sad!! I've really appreciated having her here to help me out. I had my 4 week check with my OB today and got permission to start lifting the kids again, ouch! He also recommended that I get more rest and make sure I am eating properly. Sure!! He told me my incision looked great. How does a scar look great?? Needless to say, it does hurt somewhat still, but it seems to be healing properly according to the doc.

I am going to take some good pics next time I'm there. You won't even recognize our chubby baby! The cheeks, and double-chin on this boy. I'm loving it! How does a 5 lb baby seem chubby? It's all relative, isn't it??

My sweet baby boy is doing fantastic. We feel so lucky and loved!! Thanks for everyone's continued support. We do appreciate you all!

Look out next week. The big kids are going to be going thru some SERIOUS de-tox. Oh my!