photo taken by Angela Speiker

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Saturday visit

Zach got his nasal canula (sp?) out today!! Now he only has his feeding tube in, and an IV port. They are done with his IV, but will leave it in for awhile longer just to make sure. I was able to be at the hospital yesterday for about 6 or 7 hours, which was awesome! I held him for 2 straight hours, and listend to him breathe on my chest. He slept peacefully the entire time. He is easier to hold these days with fewer wires/tubes in him. He also doesn't have to be under the bili lights, so that helps. They did mention they might put him back under those again tomorrow but not for long. Since I was there for so long yesterday, I had the chance to visit with a few other parents in the unit. I am sure being in this situation, you all get to know each other and each situation pretty well. It is all perspective!! The boy next to us was born at 24 weeks, and he is doing well and hopefully going home next week. The 2 babies around us had surgery yesterday. We feel blessed that Zachary is where he is and that we have a healthy baby boy who is taking positive steps each day. It felt so awesome to spend that time with him. I did step away for awhile when they changed his line from his belly button to his foot. Some things mommies just don't need to hear. After that is when I just got to hold him and comfort him. That is what mommies are supposed to do!

They have upped his feedings and he is doing great. They were upping him 1 per 6 hours, but now they upped it 2 every 3 hours! Pack on the pounds, Zachary! They are also taking away a fatty substance they had been giving him, so that is done. In his isolette they are trying to work on him with body temperature, but aren't pushing him too hard. Their main focus is breathing on his own-yeah, and feedings.

Calvin, Nana and Pop Pop met Zachary today! Emerald got her 2nd visit in with him today, too. I think that they all had a good time. Calvin was remarkably quiet, shock, shock, while he was talking with Zach. Calvin seemed to enjoy his visit. Emerald was just super excited to help bring Zach's milk to the hospital. I think Nana and Pop Pop enjoyed finally seeing this surprise. I'm too tired right now, but will post pics later.

Ok, this mommy needs some rest. I'll write more later. Lost of love and thanks to all.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I have tears when I read your post - the struggle, but especially the appreciation and joy. Love you.