photo taken by Angela Speiker

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Some cute pics of my boys!


Daddy is training Calvin early--cheering on the Sooners for the National Championship game tonight. Here is showing us "touchdown".


Daddy and Zachary always have such a good time with each other. He is always so alert with daddy.

Just staring up at daddy.

This isn't the best picture, but this is Zachary the first time he got to wear clothes! This is a preemie size and it is still huge on him. Thanks Aunt Heidi and Uncle Jeff for this cute outfit!

This was a little half-smile he was giving us. He still has his nasal cannula in, but not too bad.

I had a weepy day today, but I've been told by many that it is ok to be a tear-filled mommy! Skip was awesome and took me to the hospital, dropped me off, and took the big kids to the mall to purchase a couple of items. Impressive! I got to hold Zach and we tried nursing again, which seemed to go just a little bit better today, baby steps!! It is just awesome for me to get the chance to snuggle with my baby boy! Great news today, Zach had a head sonogram that has been scheduled and rescheduled several times the last few days. This is a head scan (please forgive me all you NICU nurses if I'm not explaining this exactly correctly) that looks for deep cranial bleeds. They automatically do this scan on all babies born before 32 weeks. I guess the babies don't really show any symptoms, but if they find any bleeds they can correct the problem pretty easily. They never seemed really concerned with Zach, it is just routine. They said since he was close to 32 weeks, and a C-section baby, the chances of having a bleed was really small. We just feel like another hurdle is crossed when they told us the scan came back clear!! One less thing to worry about with our little Z man. The nurse was also talking with me about moving our man to an open air crib, which could happen w/in the next couple of weeks. They really want him to gain some weight first, b/c it uses up a lot of calories to maintain his body temp in the crib. He still has his nasal cannula in today, but in talking with other mom's in the parent room today, it sounds like Zach's numbers are so low comparatively speaking. We breathe 21% oxygen in the air in our environment. They have Zach at 28%, so really not too bad. The other 2 moms in the parent room were talking numbers like 80% and 50% and spoke of how their babies were intubated for 6 weeks and couldn't yet breathe on their own at all. I'm very positive with Zach's breathing and know that he will be fine all too soon, using those healthy lungs to add to the noise at the Pankewich household!
My poor Emerald had her first "sad face" at school today. Her teacher is being so totally patient with her in this situation. I know that Emerald is out of her routine, torn and trying to interpret things in her own way for a 3 year old. I guess she didn't listen to the teacher and got in trouble. As a teacher, this is so hard to hear, but yet, so understandable from both the teacher and mommy point of view. As we pray for Zach's health, we also pray that our other 2 angels continue to handle this change well and hang in there while mommy and daddy split their time!
Skip says to add--go OU!! We are currently watching the Sooners and are hoping daddy is a happy camper after tonight is over.
PS I know I still have the "Lobster" button at the top of our page. I love leaving this up there to remind me that we were supposed to have XX number of days left before Zachary joined our family. I will take it down, but I'm just not ready yet.

1 comment:

Panky's Place said...

Oh, those poor OU fans. Bob, one of the custodians at Eisenhower (big OU fan) got a big charge out of these pictures.