photo taken by Angela Speiker

Friday, January 23, 2009

Another big day and a move to PCN!!

I'm sitting in my chair, feeding my "plastic baby" at 8:00 am this morning. My cell phone rings, which is a little odd at that time of morning, not too many people calling me on my cell that early. It comes up on the caller id as the NICU! Kind of freaks a mommy out, since they really don't call you, you usually call them for most things. I answer, scared, tentative, b/c of course the worst thoughts are going thru my mind. The nurse on the other end opens the conversation with, "Don't worry, everything is ok." Whew......she most know that we are all thinking the worst! She was just calling to tell us that they moved Zach to the Progressive Care Nursery (PCN). This is a step-down nursery, where he needs less care. She explained they are set to get triplets any day now and were looking to clear out a room or 2 in the NICU. They look for their most stable patients, their patients needing the least amount of critical care, and move them down! YEAH for Zach!! He is "most stable" and got moved. I have to say, there are parts of the NICU I miss already, like having your own room with lots of room to maneuver around. Not so much in PCN. I also miss the companionship of the fellow NICU parents. I've bonded with many of them, and I will miss that. Like the mom across the aisle from Hutch. She is so sweet! Oh well, not complaining at all. They started some more paperwork to get us "ready just in case" like scheduling his hearing screening, his Hep B shot, and mentioning a few other things. He still has his NG tube in, so don't go thinking he's headed home tomorrow, we still have at least a week, maybe 2, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. They are really working on bottling him more, b/c he has to do full oral feeds before leaving. Such exciting news!

We planned to go up anyway, today, before mom left. Mom and I brought the big kids with us. Yikes, man are they super busy, especially in a smaller space! Calvin kind of got to "hold" Zach tonight, which was special for him. Emerald wasn't in the mood b/c she was too busy showing off for the nurses. It's more fun getting attention on yourself than sharing (yet again) with a younger brother :) I'm sure she'll be excited when we get him home, and I'll be more willing with less wires and tubes.

Sadly, mom went home today. We are on our own, yikes! We have asked for help, yes, me, Stephanie Pankewich, asked for help!! Go me!! We have been offered lots of help from local friends, and are starting to really utilize them. This will help us to make it up to the hospital for feedings and so Skip can get some time in. Thanks again for all those wonderful people offering us your services, you are too awesome!

It was so super nice having our family here to help us. They have been incredible cooks, maids, chauffeurs, shoppers, etc. I don't know that we would ever have been able to do this w/o you all and please, please know you are appreciated. I'm going to miss them all so much, but am also looking forward to maybe getting back into a bit of a routine. Then again, that might not happen yet, as life is still pretty crazy.

It's time to feed my boy again. I'm headed back down to the lower level. It's so nice to say that :)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

How your family has been in our prayers! Glad to hear the good news!
-Steph