photo taken by Angela Speiker

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Time flies, right?

Today someone mentioned they were "shocked it was already February......where did the time go? Wasn't it just Christmas?" This comment struck me as ironic, they didn't even realize what they were saying around me, it was a total stranger. Yes, it was just Christmas yesterday/6 years ago, right??!! So, I've been thinking of the ways I've spent my last 5 weeks. This is a slight variation to an interesting blog I recently read of a friend who itemized her day, minute-by-minute. Here is a partial, very partial, list of ways I've spent my time.
  • 41 hours in the car traveling back and forth to the hospital--time spent w/o any of my children in most circumstances.
  • Over 5 hours of time spent solely scrubbing in and/or washing hands--you know, got to make those hands bleed :)
  • 70 + hours pumping, time usually devoted to my youngest, but usually w/o him anywhere near me
  • 25 + hours of preparing/cleaning pump parts/pumps before and after use both at home and at the hospital
  • over 13 hours of traveling from the car to Zach's room and back again (the parking lot is always packed and he is on the 4th floor, elevators are awful!)
  • guessing at least 5 hours time devoted to insurance issues dealing with this experience, and surely more to come

As a reminder, this is just my time, it does not include when Skip drives separatly to the hospital. If you add all that time up, you get over 160 hours worth of time devoted to things that aren't necessarily anything fun or rewarding, like the time we spend actually holding Zach, or nursing Zach, or playing with our big kids. Let's remember that in the middle of this I was supposed to be "resting" and recovering from major surgery. Oh, and keeping up with 2 very young children. Oh, and maintaining a house--you know bills, cleanliness, groceries, cooking, laundry, etc. So, if anyone actually wonders what I do with my day, that might help.

No comments: