photo taken by Angela Speiker

Sunday, August 16, 2009

15 years ago I met the love of my life!!


15 years ago I met the most wonderful man on the planet!! A fun little story about our beginning......
My very first day at K-State I walked into my new home, my dormitory Goodnow. I took the elevator up to 6th floor and got off only to be greeted by one very sweet man!! He told me what room I'd be in. My best friend, Christi, was meeting us at Goodnow and had already "met" Skip. She jokes that she met him first and opted to allow me first dibs, ha! Later that day I was shopping for school supplies and was chatting with Christi. I was talking about my new RA but couldn't remember if his name was Phil or Skip. I decided I'd call him Flip (a name that we still use today). Aug. 16, 1994......a day that changed my life! We didn't actually start dating until October, another story (involving mascara) for another time ! For now I will just say that I am so, so very happy to have met this man on that day.

Little did I know that the first person I'd meet at K-State would be a person I wake up beside each morning, a person that has shared parenthood with me, a person who has travelled the world with me, a person I will love for the rest of my life. I love you with all of my being!! I am happy that you chose me, and that you have remained by my side all these years. Our love has changed from the initial puppy-love, the first-love kind of feeling. I can't say he doesn't still give me butterflies, b/c he does at times. It changed into learning about each other, depending on each other in a new home with new jobs. We leaned on each other during some low points, and celebrated during the high points. Our love now seems to be all about sharing it with the kids--a dream we discussed all those years ago, a dream we waited so very long to achieve. We sometimes don't quite have enough time to devote to each other, but we know that the love is there. Thank you for being my best friend, thank you for sharing your life and love with me, thank you for giving me the best gift ever in our 3 kids, and thank you for supporting me as I changed careers and stay home with them each day. Thank you for going to work and working hard for our family, thank you for the love you give to all of us, and thank you for loving me unconditionally. You are the person who makes me work harder each day at gaining my way into heaven. You are the person that has been there for me for every major life event over the last 15 years. You have dried my tears in difficult times, been a shoulder to cry on when I needed it most, hugged me tight as we waited (not so) patiently for our daughter and son to walk through those doors at Gladney, lifted your head as proud as I was as we went in front of a judge declaring that we would love them as our forever family, held my hand as I laid on the operating table about to have our son, and calmed me after he was born (when I was a nervous wreck), walked beside me as we went back and forth to visit that son in the hospital, and smiled proudly as we captured (too many) photographs of our gorgeous family. You are a rock whom I always lean on and sometimes feel as if I don't support enough. Thank you for being my husband and for giving a smile, 15 years ago, to a young, nervous girl that stepped off the elevator about to start a new life--with you! I love you........always........and........forever my Flip!!Posted by Picasa

No comments: